python needs a tutorial for install and setup on a Mac

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 22 11:34:15 EDT 2009

Kushal Kumaran wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 9:04 PM, Vincent Davis<vincent at vincentdavis.net> wrote:
>> I am running python on a mac and when I was getting going it was difficult
>> to setup information. Specifically how modify bash_profile, how pythonpath
>> works and how to set it up. how to switch between python versions. How/where
>> to install modules if you have multiple installed versions. I am thinking
>> about this from perspective  of a new pythoner (is there a word for a person
>> who programs in python). I think many new pythoners may be like me and don't
>> mess with the underling UNIX on a mac.
>> My question/suggestion is that there be a nice tutorial for this. I am
>> wiling to contribute much but I am still somewhat new to python and may need
>> help with some details. Also where should this be posted, how do I post it.
>> Do other think there is a need? Any willing to help?
>> But of course I may have missed a great tutorial out there if so I think It
>> needs to be easier to findor I need to learn how to look.

The Python doc set includes Using Python. Chapter 4 is ... on a
Macintosh.  If you think that is inadequate, start a new issue on the
tracker (after searching for existing Mac doc issues).

Python is a volunteer enterprise, and Python-Mac is a relatively small
subset of volunteers, so feel free to help.

> Have you seen the page at http://www.python.org/download/mac/ and the
> pages linked from it?

It is possible that the chapter should include material from or link to
material in other pages.

tjr