How to find info about python 3.x extension module availability?

Jeff McNeil jeff at jmcneil.net
Tue Jun 23 11:12:15 EDT 2009

On Jun 23, 6:59 am, Francesco Bochicchio <bieff... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> is there any site that reports the current porting (to Python 3.x)
> status of the main non-standard extension modules (such as pygtk,
> pywin32, wxpython, ...) ?
> I think such information would be very useful for people - like me -
> which are tryiing to decide how/when/if to port existing scripts/
> applications to the new python, or also  which python to use to start
> a new program.
>
> I searched and googled for this information  but without finding
> anything. It looks to me that also the single extension module sites
> are quite shy at announcing plans for the porting (I understand that
> in part this is for the "is ready when is ready" philosophy of many
> non-large open software projects).
>
> Ciao
> -----
> FB

You can pull a list of what works with 3.0 via PyPi, there's a link
which points you to http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=533&show=all.
If the package isn't listed on PyPi, I believe you'll have to check
out the vendor/distribution site.

I posted something like this on my blog a few months back.  Finding
what's available isn't too terribly difficult. I thought it would be
nice to have a port status page that lets the community know where
certain package stand so volunteers can step in and help. I guess it
would be rather difficult to keep such a page updated, though.