Python 3.0.1 and mingw

smartmobili v.richomme at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 18:59:23 EDT 2009

I wanted to know if you have some patch to compile python 3.x on mingw
platform because I found some
but doesn't work very well :

    make

gcc   -o python.exe \
Modules/python.o \
libpython3.0.a    -lm
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard
streams
ImportError: No module named encodings.utf_8

I have some questions about posixmodule.c, config.c and makesetup,
I can see in posixmodule that you define a INITFUNC like this :

#if (defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(__WATCOMC__) || defined
(__BORLANDC__)) &&
!defined(__QNX__)
#define INITFUNC PyInit_nt
#define MODNAME "nt"

#elif defined(PYOS_OS2)
#define INITFUNC PyInit_os2
#define MODNAME "os2"

#else
#define INITFUNC PyInit_posix
#define MODNAME "posix"
#endif

So first I tried to add || defined(____MINGW32____) to declare a
PyInit_nt
but after config.c
was still using PyInit_posix. How does makesetup choose to include one
function or another ?
So finally python is using PyInit_posix...

and after any idea why I got the compilation error ?