IDLE / Python 2.5 under Jaunty

duncan smith buzzard at urubu.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 11:54:26 EDT 2009

Michiel Overtoom wrote:

> Duncan Smith wrote:
>
>> IDLE now refuses to
>> respond to left click events (for code editing, menus etc. respond as
>> expected).  If I right click, then left click I can move the cursor, but
>> that's not ideal.
>>
>> So, has anybody else had the left click issue with IDLE (and solved it)?
>
> Irritating problem, isn't it?  I experience the same on FreeBSD with Tk8.5.
> I had to downgrade to Tk8.4, which has ugly fonts.
>
> See http://bugs.python.org/issue2995
>
> "Moving the mouse over the text widget changes the cursor to the I-beam
> as expected, but click on text doesn't position the beam at the mouse
> position.  It is also impossible to select text with the mouse.
> Selecting text with shift-arrow keys works, however."
>
> It's closed because it doesn't seem related to Python.
>
> Greetings,

Thanks for the responses.  I searched far and wide, and couldn't find
anyone else having the same problem.  I have Tk 8.4.19-2 and 8.5.6-3 on
this machine.  I remember changing the font a while back (before
upgrading to Jaunty) because it was barely readable.  I guess the issue
is with Tk 8.5.6-3.  Just found I can move the cursor (by left clicking)
if I hold the control key down.  Shift arrow keys works for selection.
Still not so good.  Cheers.

Duncan