naming packages for pypi

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 05:15:24 EDT 2009

On Jun 26, 12:54 am, Aljosa Mohorovic <aljosa.mohoro... at gmail.com>
wrote:
> is it possible to have 2 packages with same name registered at pypi?
> are packages unique per name or also per category or something else?
>
> if package is unique per name how do you name you packages?
> do you name them something like <project1>-myapp, <project2>-myapp,
> <projectN>-myapp, ...
>
> if this is current situation is this something that you learned to
> live with and there are no indications that this will eventually
> change?

First off, we need to distinguish between software package (a bunch of
software and other data distributed together) and Python package (a
hierarchical collection of python modules).  Furthermore some Python
packages are top-level packages, others are subpackages.

Your post seems to suggest some conflating of these concepts so you
need to make it clear what you really mean.

Usually one PyPI entry corresponds to one software package which
contains one unique top level package (which can in turn contain many
subpackages), but that's not always the case.

The main restriction is that a given top-level package may not appear
in more than one PyPI entry.  Top-level package names are unique.
(That is, unless workarounds, such as customizing the installation,
are employed.)

Carl Banks