What does Guido want in a GUI toolkit for Python?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 27 17:06:06 EDT 2009

> I sorta' wish he'd just come out and say, "This is what I think would
> be suitable for a GUI toolkit for Python: ...".

He is not in the business of designing GUI toolkits, but in the business
of designing programming languages. So he abstains from specifying
(or even recommending) a GUI library.

What he makes clear is the point that Terry cites: no matter what the
GUI toolkit is or what features it has - it should be simple to create
GUIs, as simple as creating HTML.

> So, what *does* Guido want in a GUI toolkit for Python?

His concern really isn't what is in the toolkit, but what isn't.
It must not require lots of lines of code to produce a simple
GUI, it must not require specification of absolute coordinates,
... - you should be able to continue the list yourself.

Regards,
Martin