Clobbered 2.6 binary under Frameworks.python, reinstall fails

ChollaPete ChollaPete at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 20:32:20 EDT 2009

Mac OS  X (Tiger 10.4), running Python 2.6 downloaded from python.org
as a DMG installer.

I clobbered the python binary in /Library/Frameworks/Python.frameworks/
Versions/Current/bin, so I tried to reinstall from the python.org
2.6.2 DMG installer.  No joy.  Install fails at the end with no
helpful diagnostic message.

So, I deleted everything in /Applications/Python2.6, in /Library/
Frameworks/Python.frameworks and /usr/local/bin.  The install still
fails.

Any help would be appreciated.  I realize that the upgraders often
aren't intended to be used to repair an existing installation.  My
thinking now is that I may need to delete existing package receipts or
plists, but this is just wild speculation.

Thanks.

Mark