The Python Way for module configuration?

Sun Jun 28 06:17:52 EDT 2009

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:39:28 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 13:28:31 +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
>>
>> > (Even if you don't want to receive email, could you please give your
>> > actual name in the ‘From’ field instead of just initials? It makes
>> > conversation less confusing.)
>>
>> Some people prefer to be known by their initials.
>
> Some people prefer to spend their volunteer time conversing with people
> who don't just use initials or pseudonyms.

And some people refuse to use words with the letter "E" in them.

Just out of curiosity, how are you supposed to recognise people who are
using pseudonyms? For all we know, "Steven D'Aprano" might be a pseudonym
-- you haven't seen my birth certificate.

I noticed that you ignored my comment about people's whose legal names
are initials.

>> There's nothing confusing about addressing somebody by their initials.
>
> I find it much less confusing to converse with someone if I can keep
> straight who they are, and names work better than initials for that
> purpose.

Really? Can you cope with two-letter names like Jo, Li, Ed, Cy, or even
Wm (a variant of William), or are you about to start insisting that
people choose three-letter names?

If you can cope with Al, Di or Mo, then what's the difference between
those names and two-letter initials?

--
Steven