pep 8 constants

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Jun 29 15:28:07 EDT 2009

Rhodri James wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 06:07:19 +0100, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Rhodri James wrote:
>>
>>> Reject away, but I'm afraid you've still got some work to do to
>>> convince me that PEP 8 is more work for an SR system than any other
>>> convention.
>>

> [snip sundry examples]
>
> Yes, yes, recognition systems need both training and a careful selection
> of words to recognise to be effective.  This I learned twenty years ago:
> if "cap" has a high failure rate, use something else.

A more profitable way would be to build a framework doing the right job and not
trying to make it happen by side effect and "speaking the keyboard". Speaking
the keyboard is whenever you force someone to go through gyrations to adjust
spacing, case or special single character assertions (i.e.;).

> As far as I can tell, the only thing that you are even vaguely suggesting
> for convention use is underscores_with_everything.  As promised, I laugh
> hollowly.

I'm sorry. It may have been too subtle. I'm suggesting a smart editor that can
tell me anything about any name in the body of code I'm working or anything I've
included.  with that kind of tool, I can have a command grammar that is much
friendlier to the voice and gets work done faster than typing.things such as:

   what is this name?
it's a class.
   What are its methods?
tree
branch
root

 root template plea
se
.root(howmany=1, branches=3, nodes={})

and the query can go from there.

Using tools like these, one can keep pep-8 conventions  and not  create a
discriminatory environment.