What does Guido want in a GUI toolkit for Python?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 29 16:47:58 EDT 2009

> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> I sorta' wish he'd just come out and say, "This is what I think would
>>> be suitable for a GUI toolkit for Python: ...".
>>>

>> He is not in the business of designing GUI toolkits, but in the business
>> of designing programming languages. So he abstains from specifying
>> (or even recommending) a GUI library.
>>
>> What he makes clear is the point that Terry cites: no matter what the
>> GUI toolkit is or what features it has - it should be simple to create
>> GUIs, as simple as creating HTML.

Having quoted Guido, I will note a few other things:

Python already comes with a GUI toolkit, so the question is really "What
would Guido want in a replacement for tk/tkinter?"

Obviously, it should be even better that the current (and even,
prospective) version of TK. 'Better' would need to be demonstrated. Part
of that would be a PEP written by or supported by the person in charge
of the replacement, with a detailed comparison and argument. Part of
that would also be a re-writing of IDLE with the new GUI, with some
visible advantage in the gui part of the code. I do not believe either
has been done.

The replacement should also have majority support. However, there are at
least 3 or 4 contenders. My impression is that most of the supporters of
each prefer (and rationally so) the status quo to having one of the
other contenders being chosen, and thereby shutting out their favorite.

The replacement would need to work with Py 3. TK does. I have not
noticed that anything else does, though that should change eventually.
(And I am sure someone will point of something I have not noticed.)

Guido is properly somewhat conservative about 'spending' BDFL points.
There is no need to decide anything at present.

Terry Jan Reedy