how to get the path of a module (myself) ?

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Jun 1 18:23:04 EDT 2009

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:28:16 +0200, Stef Mientki <stef.mientki at gmail.com>
wrote:
> hello,
>
> I've pictures stored in a path relative to my python source code.
> To get a picture, I need to know what path I'm on in each python module.
> I thought __file__ would do the job,
> but apparently I didn't read the documentation carefully enough,
> because file is the path to the module that called my module.
>
> Any ways to get the path of "myself" ?

This ain't the official way... but the hackers way.....

Check site.path (import site)...

If your module got loaded, and it's own succinct directory or .egg, then
it will have been added to site.path.

You might have to parse the values in site.path but we're only talking
a few lines of code because you already know the package name.

If not, there's another way through pkg_utils...

Regards

David