multi-core software

Roedy Green see_website at mindprod.com.invalid
Thu Jun 4 14:35:03 EDT 2009

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:46:44 -0700 (PDT), Xah Lee <xahlee at gmail.com>

>• Why Must Software Be Rewritten For Multi-Core Processors?

Threads have been part of Java since Day 1.  Using threads complicates
your code, but even with a single core processor, they can improve
performance, particularly if you are doing something like combing
multiple websites.

The nice thing about Java is whether you are on a single core
processor or a 256 CPU machine (We got to run our Athena Integer Java
spreadsheet engine on such a beast), does not concern your code.

You just have to make sure your threads don't interfere with each
other, and Java/the OS, handle exploiting all the CPUs available.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Never discourage anyone... who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
~ Plato 428 BC died: 348 BC at age: 80