multi-core software

Kaz Kylheku kkylheku at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 15:37:59 EDT 2009

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.lang.lisp.]
On 2009-06-04, Roedy Green <see_website at mindprod.com.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 09:46:44 -0700 (PDT), Xah Lee <xahlee at gmail.com>
>
>>• Why Must Software Be Rewritten For Multi-Core Processors?
>
> Threads have been part of Java since Day 1.

Unfortunately, not sane threads designed by people who actually understand
multithreading.

> The nice thing about Java is whether you are on a single core
> processor or a 256 CPU machine (We got to run our Athena Integer Java
> spreadsheet engine on such a beast), does not concern your code.

You are dreaming if you think that there are any circumstances (other than
circumstances in which performance doesn't matter) in which you don't have to
concern yourself about the difference between a uniprocessor and a 256 CPU
machine.