What text editor is everyone using for Python

Nick Craig-Wood nick at craig-wood.com
Thu Jun 4 16:29:41 EDT 2009

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
>  On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 10:54:48 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
>
> > In message <kkkmp7.jzg at spenarnc.xs4all.nl>, Albert van der Horst wrote:
> >
> >> An indication of how one can see one is in emacs is also appreciated.
> >
> > How about, hit CTRL/G and see if the word "Quit" appears somewhere.
>
>  Ah, one has to love user interfaces designed with mnemonic keyboard
>  commands so as to minimize the burden of rote learning on the user.
>  Presumably it is G for "Get me the frack outta here!".
>
>  Having noted that the word "Quit" does appear, how do you then *actually*
>  Quit? Apart from taunting the user, what is it that Ctrl-G is actually
>  doing when it displays the word "Quit" in what seems to be some sort of
>  status bar?

I love the idea of emacs taunting the user - it is like all that lisp
code suddenly became self aware and decided to join in ;-)

Ctrl-G is the emacs interrupt sequence.  It cancels what you are
doing.  Kind of like Ctrl-C in the shell.

You quit emacs with Ctrl-X Ctrl-C.

Save a document with Ctrl-X Ctrl-S that that is probably enough for
the emacs survival guide!

If you run emacs in a windowing environment (eg X-Windows or Windows)
you actually get menus you can choose save and quit off!

Anyway, wrenching the thread back on topic - I use emacs for all my
python editing needs (on linux, windows and mac) with pymacs or
python-mode (depending on distro). I use the subversion integration
extensively.

The interactive features of emacs are really useful for testing python
code - even more useful than the python interactive prompt for bits of
code longer than a line or too.  (Open a new window in python mode,
type stuff, press Ctrl-C Ctrl-C and have the output shown in a
different window.  If you messed up, clicking on the error will put
the cursor in the right place in the code).