multi-core software

Arved Sandstrom dcest61 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 9 22:08:36 EDT 2009

Jon Harrop wrote:
> Arved Sandstrom wrote:
>> Jon Harrop wrote:
>>> No. Concurrent programming is about interleaving computations in order to
>>> reduce latency. Nothing to do with parallelism.
>> Jon, I do concurrent programming all the time, as do most of my peers.
>> Way down on the list of why we do it is the reduction of latency.
>
> What is higher on the list?

Correctness.

I'm not being facetious. I write applications that run on application
servers, and from time to time I have had to write various special
purpose servers. This kind of programming is all about managing
concurrent execution of computations. The overarching concern is
reliability and correct function. For many corporate situations, even
with hundreds of users, the actual load at any instant is low enough
that the various servers involved are nowhere close to being stressed
out - performance is a secondary issue.

AHS