How to insert string in each match using RegEx iterator

504crank at gmail.com 504crank at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 00:35:37 EDT 2009

On Jun 9, 11:19 pm, Roy Smith <r... at panix.com> wrote:
> In article
> <cb258e51-8c54-4b33-9b88-f23fc70a3... at z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  "504cr... at gmail.com" <504cr... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > By what method would a string be inserted at each instance of a RegEx
> > match?
>
> > For example:
>
> > string = '123 abc 456 def 789 ghi'
> > newstring = ' INSERT 123 abc INSERT 456 def INSERT 789 ghi'
>
> If you want to do what I think you are saying, you should be looking at the
> join() string method.  I'm thinking something along the lines of:
>
> groups = match_object.groups()
> newstring = " INSERT ".join(groups)

Fast answer, Roy. Thanks. That would be a graceful solution if it
works. I'll give it a try and post a solution.

Meanwhile, I know there's a logical problem with the way I was
concatenating strings in the iterator loop.

Here's a single instance example of what I'm trying to do:

>>> string = 'abc 123 def 456 ghi 789'
>>> match = rePatt.search(string)
>>> print string[0:match.start()] + 'INSERT ' + string[match.end():len(string)]
abc INSERT def 456 ghi 789