cleaning up an ASCII file?

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Wed Jun 10 18:23:32 EDT 2009

On Jun 11, 6:09 am, Nick Matzke <mat... at berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> So I'm parsing an XML file returned from a database.  However, the
> database entries have occasional non-ASCII characters, and this is
> crashing my parsers.

So fix your parsers. google("unicode"). Deleting stuff that you don't
understand is an "interesting" approach to academic research :-(

Care to divulge what "crash" means? e.g. the full traceback and error
message, plus what version of python on what platform, what version of
ElementTree or other XML spftware you are using ...

> Center for Theoretical Evolutionary Genomics

If your .sig evolves much more, it will consume all available
bandwidth in the known universe and then some ;-)