Good books in computer science?

Paul Rubin http
Sat Jun 13 12:56:18 EDT 2009

koranthala <koranthala at gmail.com> writes:
>     Which are the classic books in computer science which one should
> peruse?
>     I have  (a) Code Complete (b) GOF (c) Art of programming.
>
>     Art of programming was too tough for me - and I couldnt understand
> much. The other two were good books - I understood and implemented
> quite a bit from both.
>     What are the other books which I should peruse?

Code Complete and GOF are software engineering books but not really
CS books.  TAOCP is a CS book but a bit old fashioned.  Other classics:

Introduction to Algorithms by Thomas H. Cormen, Charles E. Leiserson,
Ronald L. Rivest, and Clifford Stein.

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs by Harold Abelson
and Gerald Jay Sussman (online at mitpress.mit.edu/sicp)