persistent composites

Steven D'Aprano steve at REMOVETHIS.cybersource.com.au
Sun Jun 14 11:24:48 EDT 2009

Aaron Brady wrote:

> Some time ago, I recommended a pursuit of keeping 'persistent
> composite' types on disk, to be read and updated at other times by
> other processes.  Databases provide this functionality, with the
> exception that field types in any given table are required to be
> uniform.  Python has no such restriction.
> I will be sure to kill any interest you might have by now, by
> "revealing" a snippet of code.

How about telling us what problem you're trying to solve? Giving us your
implementation isn't useful if we don't even know what it's for. Persistent
data on disk, okay, I get that -- but how is it different from (say) XML,
or INI files, or pickles, or similar? Is the idea to have *live* data
stored on disk, updated by multiple processes simultaneously? Don't assume
that people will remember your recommendation from "some time ago".

--
Steven