CAD file format specifications?

Anthra Norell anthra.norell at bluewin.ch
Thu Jun 18 07:39:28 EDT 2009

norseman wrote:
> Anthra Norell wrote:
>> Andres Acosta wrote:
>>> HI there Anthara have you checked out www.Blender.org, It is open
>>> source and accepts a lot of your formats. for import and export.
>>> Anrdres

>> Andres,
>>
>>  Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of Blender. The web page looks
>> promising. I downloaded it and am going to have a look at it.
>>
>> Frederic
>>
> ===================
> Frederic;
>         Could you be a little more specific about your data's current
> format and the format that seems to best suit your needs?
>
> Tabular source data and dxf output files for use in CAD are quite
> simple to write.  But this assumes dxf suits your display program's
> needs.
>
> I think, for display purposes, Microsoft Word still accepts dxf files.
> I run unix mostly and I don't keep up with Window$. ;(
>

> I suggest you Google for CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) programs. There
> are free ones out there.  Most will take the DXF format.  If the
> contours are pre-traced you can polyline them to make the contours
> look correct. If the 3D points are X-section or random you will need a
> contour generating program....  and so it goes.
>
> Let's start here - what is your area of expertise, how much math in
> your background, why are you attempting this exercise?
>
> In order to communicate properly I need to know.  I can tailor my
> comments to suit.
>

> Steve Turner
> Licensed Land Surveyor CA 5197 (inactive)
> 1st order Photogrammetric Compiler (2D depctions from 3D photo sets)
> in short  Map Maker, Master Grade
> norseman at hughes.net

Steve,
     Thank you  for your support. In a nutshell: I have a patch of
constructible land and have the coordinates of its borders and a few
other parameters. The patch is on a slope, so I had a surveyor do the
isometric elevation lines. That's a lot more coordinates. The
coordinates are plain text. Plain text is a breeze to convert into
Python sequences. So I made a bitmap of the ground plan with the
elevation lines as a template to play around doing architecture. A
ground plan is 2d and as such is rather ill-suited to conceptualize the
vertical dimension. Then someone made me aware of Google Sketch Up. It
looks sort of like MS Paint in three dimensions: intuitive for doodling.
Before I waste time doodling a flying or a subterranean house I want to
make a three-dimensional template of the terrain and the constructible
volume. The way to import numeric data, for what I see, is as one of the
following CAD-file formats: skp, dwg, dxf, 3ds, ddf or dem. So I need to
convert my coordinates into one of them, preferably the
conversion-friendliest, but I don't have the specifications of any one.
     I had a look at Blender. It looks impressive too. It might be an
alternative to Sketch Up. I'll worry about that later. My immediate need
is a file conversion utility. A cursory inspection of Blender's menu
tabs and the various help options didn't turn up a file-conversion
utility. So, my question is: How do I convert a bunch of
three-dimensional coordinates defining lines into a file format Sketch
Up can read (skp, dwg, dxf, 3ds, ddf or dem)?

Frederic