Tutorial on working with Excel files in Python (without COM and crossplatform!) at EuroPython 2009

Jeremiah Jester jeremiah.jester at panasonic.aero
Fri Jun 19 15:55:43 EDT 2009

Chris,
Do you have any online tutorial for this topic?
Thanks,
JJ

On Thu, 2009-06-18 at 08:38 -0700, Chris Withers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Too many people in the Python community *still* think the only way to
> work with Excel files in Python is using COM on Windows.
>
> To try and correct this, I'm giving a tutorial at this year's
> EuroPython
> conference in Birmingham, UK on Monday, 29th June that will cover
> working with Excel files in Python using the pure-python libraries
> xlrd,
> xlwt and xlutils.
>
> I'll be looking to cover:
>
> - Reading Excel Files
>
>    Including extracting all the data types, formatting and working
> with
>    large files.
>
> - Writing Excel Files
>
>    Including formatting, many of the useful frilly extras and writing
>    large excel files.
>
> - Modifying and Filtering Excel Files
>
>    A run through of taking existing Excel files and modifying them in
>    various ways.
>
> - Workshop for your problems
>
>    I'm hoping anyone who attends will get a lot out of this! If you're
>    planning on attending and have a particular problem you'd like to
> work
>    on in this part of the tutorial, please drop me an email and I'll
> try
>    and make sure I come prepared!
>
> All you need for the tutorial is a working knowledge of Excel and
> Python, with a laptop as an added benefit, and to be at EuroPython
> this
> year:
>
> http://www.europython.eu/
>
> I look forward to seeing you all there!
>
> Chris
>
> --
>             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk
>

> --
>
>         Support the Python Software Foundation:
>         http://www.python.org/psf/donations.html

Disclaimer: The information contained in this transmission, including any
attachments, may contain confidential information of Panasonic Avionics
Corporation.  This transmission is intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) listed above.  Unauthorized review, dissemination or other use
of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error or have reason to believe
you are not authorized to receive it, please notify the sender by return
email and promptly delete the transmission.