installation in mac os x

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Wed Jun 24 17:13:10 EDT 2009

On Jun 24, 2009, at 4:48 PM, Karl Jansson wrote:

>> What happens if you work on the commandline (Terminal)?
>>
>> Python2.6 should be available from (out of my head)
>>
>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/bin/python
>>
>> If that's working, it is successfully installed.
>>
>> Diez
>> -- http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-list
>
> If I work on the commandline, I have version 2.3, which works. But
> some of the commands in the tutorial don't work with that version,
> so I had to upgrade in order to do the tutorial.  But I still can't
> do it, obviously.

The system Python (2.3) is in /usr/bin and that's probably first in
your path, so when you simply type 'python' it finds /usr/bin/python.

Python 2.6 might have installed itself in /usr/local/bin. Try
invoking /usr/local/bin/python and see which one you get (if that
works at all). If that's Python 2.6, then move /usr/local/bin ahead of
usr/bin in your path and then you'll invoke Python 2.6 by just typing
'python' at the command line.

If that doesn't work, hunt around in /Library/Frameworks as Diez
suggested. Until we figure out whether or not you actually have 2.6
installed, it is difficult to suggest how to invoke it.

Let us know what you find.

bye
Philip