"The system cannot execute the specified program."

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Fri Jun 26 12:51:00 EDT 2009

Tim Slattery <Slattery_T at bls.gov> wrote:

> Our office has a copy of Python 3.0 installed on a network share
> device. When I try to run it I get this message: "The system cannot
> execute the specified program."
>
> When I googled that message, the links that came up had to do with
> missing DLLs. So I fired up Dependency Walker and found out that there
> were indeed DLLs that it needed that the OS couldn't find. So I
> supplied those DLLs. And it still gives the same message, even though
> Dependency Walker is now happy.
>
> Does anybody have a clue what might cause this amazingly uninformative
> message?

Are you using Vista? There seem to be some strange security settings for
network shares in Vista. I had a file shared from an XP system which my
Vista system could not access even though other machines could access it.
Eventually I had to copy the file from the XP machine onto the Vista
machine and it was happy to access it once it was on the local system.

Alternatively for a non-Vista wild guess, could it be that Python 3.0 is
access security' which prevents the running of .Net applications from a
network share?