Beginning with Python; the right choice?

Charles Yeomans charles at declareSub.com
Sat Jun 27 12:46:23 EDT 2009

On Jun 26, 2009, at 10:22 PM, sato.photo at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you can imagine, I am new, both to this group and to Python.  I
> have read various posts on the best book to buy or online tutorial to
> read and have started to go through them.  I was wondering, as someone
> with virtually no programming experience (I am a photographer by
> trade), is Python the right language for me to try and learn?
>
> I do vaguely remember learning what I think was BASIC on some old
> Apple's back in elementary school (circa 1992).  Would something like
> that (the name at least makes it SOUND easier) be more feasible?
>
> If I do choose to learn Python, are there any tutorials for the
> absolute beginner.  I do not mean beginner to Python, but rather,
> beginner to programming.  Someone who hasn't a clue what object
> oriented whatcha-ma-whoozit means.  I ask again because I understand
> that content is always evolving and there might be new tutorials out
> there.

As an alternative to Python, I'd suggest REALbasic.  Its main
disadvantage is that it is not free. But you get a language, editor,
and two application frameworks in one package.

Charles Yeomans