csv blank fields

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Sat Jun 27 13:06:23 EDT 2009

Mag Gam wrote:
> Peter:
>
> Sorry if I wasn't clear before.
>
> While reading my csv file, notice I am putting the content in an array.
>
> If lets say, row[5] has nothing in it, python gives an exception.
> Instead of the exception, I would like to assign 'NULL' to row[5].
>
> Does that help?

You still didn't say what the exception was!

Anyway, if you expect 'row' to contain 11 items, then you could append
the missing ones:

for s, row in enumerate(reader):
     # Fill any empty slots with "NULL".
     row = [r or "NULL" for r in row]
     # Append missing (empty) slots on the end.
     row += ["NULL"] * (11 - len(row))
     d[s] = np.array([tuple(row)], dtype=mtype)