PEP 376

Carl Banks pavlovevidence at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 18:52:04 EDT 2009

On Jun 30, 12:41 pm, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.ta... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to propose this PEP for inclusion into Python 2.7 / 3.2
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0376/
>
> It has been discussed a lot already in the distutils-SIG, but new
> feedbacks are welcome
>
> there's an implementation prototype here :http://bitbucket.org/tarek/pep376/src/tip/pkgutil.py

+1

This seems to be a well-designed solution that corrects the ad-hoc-
ness of installation while keeping its effects on existing tools
small.

I hate those egg-info files but I would be very happy if they'd at
least always be in an accounted-for place.  Maybe I'd even consider
making use of them some day.

As for setuptools, I'm sure it will accommodate the change and
probably improve itself in the process.  (And if the setuptools
doesn't change then some other tool will grow into its niche; either
way it'd be an improvement.)

Carl Banks