Performance of Python 3

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Mon Mar 2 06:53:08 EST 2009

On 1 Mar, 15:20, Steve Holden <st... at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Kless wrote:
> > Does anybody has seen the performance of Python 3?
> > Respect to speed it's the last language together to Ruby 1.8, but Ruby
> > 1.9 has a lot of better performance. :(
>
> I'm not sure what you think the speed of Ruby has to do with Python.

I imagine the author was contrasting the priorities of the developers
of each language implementation. Ruby 1.8 and earlier were regarded as
being very slow; Ruby 1.9 is faster because the developers have used
techniques similar to those employed in the CPython implementation.
Although one shouldn't extrapolate performance improvements from the
difference between two consecutive releases, one can observe that one
set of developers has prioritised performance (admittedly to remedy
deficiencies) while another set has prioritised features.

One is left to wonder how the performance of the next major Ruby
release will compare with the next major Python releases. Such things
were barely worth considering before - maybe that was the author's
point.

Paul