Performance of Python 3

andrew cooke andrew at acooke.org
Mon Mar 2 16:55:37 EST 2009

Isaac Gouy wrote:
[...]
> I think it would be silly to dispute whether or not programs that have
> import psyco; psyco.bind are Python programs.
>
> I'm not sure it would be equally silly to dispute whether or not
> programs with type declarations have moved away from being Python
> programs.

i don't have any horse in this race (although i would like the standard
implementation to be as fast as possible), but it may be worth mentioning
that annotations on parameters are available (python 2.6 and 3.0).  those,
along with abcs (same versions) suggests someone, somewhere, might be
wondering about how to introduce optional type declarations in python one
day...

it would also be nice if pypy could actually produce a final, compliant,
fully featured implementation.  that (via llvm?) may be the best way to
introduce the kind of adaptive optimisations that java has made so much
mileage from.  but i'm just stabbing in the dark - their exact status is a
bit opaque to me.

andrew