Upgrade Python on a Mac

Graham Dumpleton Graham.Dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 05:01:45 EST 2009

On Mar 3, 8:53 am, Rey Bango <reyba... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to upgrade the installed version of Python that came standard
> on OS X (Leopard) with either 2.6.1 or 3.0.1. Before I stick my foot
> in it, I just wanted to get a better understanding of the process.
>
> If I download the disk image installer from here:http://www.python.org/download/
> will it allow me to upgrade my existing version or is it more involved
> (eg: making a new build).
>
> I've looked through the python.org page for upgrade instructions for a
> Mac and haven't found it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Beware of the official Python binary installers for MacOS X if wanting
to do Python web development.

Based on feedback these installers have only been compiled for 32 bit
architectures. This makes them useless if you want to run mod_python
or mod_wsgi with Apache that comes with MacOS X as it runs as 64 bit
and relies on the Python framework having 64 bit, which these
installers do not provide.

If this is going to affect you, build from source code. Configure
options required would be, as an example:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/python-3.0  \
 --enable-framework=/usr/local/python-3.0/frameworks \
 --enable-universalsdk=/ MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5 \
 --with-universal-archs=all

Note that not all MacPorts installers have been both 32/64 bit either.
Not sure if they have fixed this issue.

Graham