easy_install with MySQL-python

Mike Driscoll kyosohma at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:01:31 EST 2009

On Mar 3, 7:44 am, Ske <calypso-b... at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Let me apologise in advance if I’m missing something obvious, I’m still very
> new to this!
>
> I’m attempting to install MySQL-python in Python2.6 on Windows. On running
> "easy_install MySQL-python" I get a "The system cannot find the file
> specified" message. Full output is below:
>
> Searching for MySQL-python
> Readinghttp://pypi.python.org/simple/MySQL-python/
> Readinghttp://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python
> Readinghttp://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/
> Best match: MySQL-python 1.2.3b1
> Downloadinghttp://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mysql-python/MySQL-python
> -1.2.3b1.tar.gz
> Processing MySQL-python-1.2.3b1.tar.gz
> Running MySQL-python-1.2.3b1\setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
> c:\docume~1\michae
> ~1\locals~1\temp\easy_install-bmrwgu\MySQL-python-1.2.3b1\egg-dist-tmp-_uhixz
> error: The system cannot find the file specified
>
> I've really no idea how to solve this, and searches turn up nothing of help.
> Any ideas?
> Thanks!
> --

It may be that the egg is incompatible with Python 2.6. Looking at the
last location that easy_install downloads from, I found that there is
no 2.6 egg there (see http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=22307&package_id=15775).

I've had some goofy issues with compressed files being weird. Try
downloading the source yourself, unzipping it, then navigating to that
folder via the command line and running something like this:

python setup.py install

If your python isn't on the path, you'll have to do something like
this instead:

c:\python26\python.exe setup.py install

Hopefully that will get you going.

Mike