qt, gtk, wx for py3 ?

Peter Billam peter at www.pjb.com.au
Tue Mar 3 18:40:32 EST 2009

>> Peter Billam wrote:
>> > I've been trying (newbie warning still on) tkinter with python3.0,
>> > and I'm getting to that stage where I'm beginning to think there
>> > must be a better a way to do this...  But I'm unsure if the
>> > big names Qt, Gtk and Wx are available for Py3 yet - e.g.
>> >http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=533&show=alldoesn't
>> > seem to show any... What's the gossip on these toolkits for Py3 ?

> On Mar 3, 1:15 pm, Scott David Daniels <Scott.Dani... at Acm.Org> wrote:
>> Well, here are my biases (you will only get biased answers, because
>> this is clearly a taste question).
>> Tkinter: solid, well-established (hence fairly stable), relatively
>>          well-documented, comprehensible in a "from the roots" way.
>> Wx: a lot of mileage, looks best of the machine-independent packages
>>      across a raft of systems (does native interaction well), not so
>>      well-documented, but has a plethora of examples, comprehensible
>>      in a "grab and modify" way.
>> Qt: simplest model, well-documented, until very recently not available
>>      on Windows w/o a restrictive license or substantial cost.

Thanks for that.  I also checked out:
  http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/WxWidgets_Compared_To_Other_Toolkits
which seemed surprisingly even-handed.

On 2009-03-03, Mike Driscoll <kyosohma at gmail.com> wrote:
> It should be noted that the port for 3.0 hasn't started yet for
> wxPython and I'm not seeing anything about a port for PyQt either
> on their website.

I couldn't see them either, so I'm glad to hear I wasn't hallucinating.

Nobody mentioned gtk yet, perhaps because its "primary development
and focus is for Unix, with multi-platform development mostly as an
afterthought."

Qt4 for windows is GPL, though its direct access to /dev/fb in linux
(potentially important) is commercial and royalty dependent.

> When I started out with Tkinter, I didn't find the docs to be any
> better than what I found in wxPython. Each toolkit has it's own ups
> and downs. I would recommend trying them until you find something you
> like.

I think that's what I'm embarked on...  But I'm coming to Python at
the 3.0.1 version (from a perl5 background, as an alternative to
perl6 which I'll evaluate when it's available) so I'm hanging out
for those Py3 versions...

Thanks,  regards,  Peter

--
Peter Billam       www.pjb.com.au    www.pjb.com.au/comp/contact.html