looking for template package

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 16:09:27 EST 2009

On 2009-03-03 20:06, Neal Becker wrote:
> I'm looking for something to do template processing.  That is, transform
> text making various substitutions.  I'd like to be able to do substitutions
> that include python expressions, to do arithmetic computations within
> substitutions.
>
> I know there are lots of template packages, but most seem aimed at web use.
> This is just text processing, not part of any web stuff.
>
> Any suggestions?

For this kind of purpose, I like Ian Bicking's Tempita. It's a single Python
file and allows basically arbitrary Python. It has a Django-ish syntax without
all of the restrictions that Django templates will impose on you.

   http://pythonpaste.org/tempita/

If you find you need template inheritance, though, it would be worth your while
to upgrade to a fuller templating package. I like Mako for that.

   http://makotemplates.org/

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."