sys.path with multiple Python installations

Xavier Lapointe Desjardins lapointe.xavier at
Thu Mar 5 04:48:44 CET 2009

Hi everyone :o),

this is my first post on the mailing list, so I'll try to be clear
enough. I've on my computer WinXp x64 with  python 2.5 and 2.6
installed. When I tried to run a small script using smtplib using Python
2.6, I got that error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "< My projet path >\", line 2, in <module>
    import smtplib
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\", line 44, in <module>
    import socket
  File "C:\Python25\Lib\", line 45, in <module>
    import _socket
ImportError: Module use of python25.dll conflicts with this version of

So as you can see, it looks inside Python 2.5 directories, not 2.6. I
took a look at both sys.path (2.5 and 2.6), and remarked that Python 2.5
have its own path list, but 2.6 got its own + the 2.5 paths creating
Is there a way to avoid this? I thought removing every single path in
python 2.6 that linked to 2.5, but maybe there's another reason/solution
or something I should know?

After googling a bit I saw that similar post:, but
the guy is on Linux.

Thanks a lot,