Number of Packages in the "cheeseshop"

Michael Rudolf spamfresser at ch3ka.de
Thu Mar 5 09:07:34 EST 2009

Am Thu, 5 Mar 2009 05:38:58 -0800 (PST)
schrieb John Machin <sjmachin at lexicon.net>:

> Main page (http://pypi.python.org/pypi), right at the top:
> """
> The Python Package Index is a repository of software for the Python
> programming language. There are currently 5883 packages here.
> """

Ooops... totally missed that... must have been blind, sorry.
Thank you.

> > for t in \
> > urllib.urlopen('http://pypi.python.org/pypi?%3Aaction=browse'):
> > 	t=t.split('(')[-1].split(')')[0]
> That statement is a thing of beauty and a joy forever. I wonder what
> it does.
extracts everything between parentheses per line, as long as there is
exactly one '(' and one ')' in it (true for that site).

Didnt want to parse the HTML or write a regex for that simple Job.

Anyways, sorry for that stupid post and thanks for pointing out that
there actually *is* a counter.
Next time I will readjust my caffeine-in-blood-level before posting. ;)

Michael