question about ctrl-d and atexit with threads

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 10:13:59 EST 2009

I have a function that stops execution of a thread, and this function
is registered with atexit.register. A simple example module is
included at the end of this post, say its called test.py. If I do the
following in the interactive interpreter, the thread stops executing
as I hoped:

>>> from test import my_thread
>>> import sys
>>> sys.exit()

If instead I do the following:

>>> from test import my_thread
>>> <invoke ctrl-D>

the interpreter hangs up and my_thread continues to execute
indefinitely (confirmed by uncommenting the print statement in run).

I've seen this behavior on python-2.5 and 2.6 on 64 bit linux systems
(gentoo and kubuntu). Can anyone else confirm that invoking ctrl-D
hangs up the interactive interpreter with this code? And if so, could
anyone explain how ctrl-d is different than sys.exit?

Thank you,
Darren

import atexit
import threading