logging.handlers.SocketHandler

writeson doug.farrell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 14:38:56 EST 2009

Hi everyone,

I wrote a logging server that receives messages from
logging.handlers.SocketHandler objects in client Python programs. This
works well so long as the client programs are start/stop affairs.
However, if the client is also a long running daemon a problem shows
up. If the logging server is restarted log messages from the daemon
client go no where, and no errors are thrown. To correct the problem
the daemon client has to be restarted, then it will reconnect with the
logging server and all is well. My reading of the
logging.handlers.SocketHandler documentation makes me think this isn't
how things are supposed to work. Failures of the emit() method (how
log messages are sent) will close the connection and retry it again at
the next log message.

By the way, we're running this with Python 2.4 on a CentOS Linux
server.

Does anyone have any ideas, pointers or suggestions about how to
address this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Doug