Translating pysnmp oids to human readable strings

Shantanu Joshi weemadarthur at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 03:03:24 EST 2009

SpamMePlease PleasePlease <spankthespam at googlemail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Shantanu Joshi <weemadarthur at gmail.com> wrote:
>> You need to parse the MIB file to get the human-readable names
>> corresponding to the OIDs. The pysnmp library already provides this
>> functionality. I haven't used this feature myself (I mainly use pysnmp
>> to automate SNMP walk requests, like the one in your code), but the
>> documentation at found the below example at
>> http://pysnmp.sourceforge.net/docs/4.1.x/index.html#MIB-SERVICES.

>> (1, 3, 6, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1)
>> ('iso', 'org', 'dod', 'internet', 'mgmt', 'mib-2', 'system', 'sysDescr')
>> ()
>> --
>>

> Yes, I have seen that, but I cant get it working as expected (or it
> doesent to what expected at all). I cant make it return values like:
> jnxBgpM2PeerIdentifier.0.ipv4.38.101.161.119.1.38.101.161.118 (the one
> of many I got from snmpwalk) but instead I am getting bunch of words
> like iso, internet, mgmt, which is no way close to desired effect.
> Still no luck - anybody with a clue?

Every node in a MIB file is rooted at iso.org.dod.internet.
jnxBgpM2PeerIdentifier has OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.2636.5.1.1.2.1.1.1.1
(if I've got the right MIB, I searched for jnxBgpM2PeerIdentifier on
Google and got the BGP4-V2-MIB-JUNIPER MIB file). The .1.3.6.1.4.1
corresponds to iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises, so you can
safely skip that part. The next value 2636, is uniquely assigned to
Juniper, and the rest is up to whatever scheme Juniper uses to prepare
mibs.

The pysnmp library doesn't know anything about BGP4-V2-MIB-JUNIPER MIB,
since it is not one of the standard MIBS, so it will parse everything up
to what is defined in the standard mibs and return the rest in numeric
form. There was a paragraph on the page I linked which described how to
prepare MIB files for consumption by pysnmp. Did you try that?