Indentations and future evolution of languages

Tim Rowe digitig at
Fri Mar 6 20:25:06 CET 2009

2009/3/6  <bearophileHUGS at>:
> This is an interesting post, it shows me that fitness plateau where
> design of Python syntax lives is really small, you can't design
> something just similar:

I don't think the article is right that "it's silly to have some
expression/statement groupings indentation based and some grouped by
enclosing tokens" -- provided it's done right. The OCAML-based
language F# accepts OCAML enclosing tokens, but if you mark the groups
with indentation they're not necessary (but still legal). That seems
to me to work pretty cleanly.

Tim Rowe