searching for an easy library to create OpenOffice spreadsheets

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 6 18:48:10 EST 2009

Krishnakant wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am looking out for a python library which does the followingg.
> 1, create and manipulate openoffice spreadsheets.

OpenOffice, by default, creates ODF -- Open Document Format -- documents
as zipped xml subdocuments.  Ooo is just one of many programs that work
with them.  One can access the actual xml with any decent zip program,
such as 7zip.

> 2, allow for cell formatting including merging cells.
> 3, allow for colouring cells and formatting data as bold italics etc.
> 4, alignment of data should be possible.
> I looked at ooolib but did not find a method for merging cells.

> any ideas?

odf2py?  Have not used it yet.  To get an idea of how to do what you
want to do, create a simple spreadsheet with merged and formatted cells
with OOoCalc and then look at the resulting xml rendition.

tjr