Is there a better way of doing this?

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Mar 6 21:05:53 EST 2009

En Fri, 06 Mar 2009 21:31:01 -0200, mattia <gervaz at gmail.com> escribió:

> Thanks, I've found another solution here:
> http://www.obitko.com/tutorials/
> genetic-algorithms/selection.php
> so here is my implementation:
>

> def get_fap(fitness, population):
>     fap = []
>     total = 0
>     for x in population:
>         f = fitness(x)
>         fap += [(f, x)]
>         total += f
>     return sorted(fap, reverse=True), total

Imagine you're working with someone side by side. You write a note in a
piece of paper, put it into an envelope, and hand it to your co-worker. He
opens the envelope, throws it away, takes the note and files it inside a
folder right at the end. And you do this over and over. What's wrong in
this story?

Please save our trees! Don't waste so many envelopes - that's just what
this line does:

          fap += [(f, x)]

Environmentally friendly Pythoneers avoid using discardable intermediate
envelopes:

          fap.append((f, x))

Please recycle!

--