Ban Xah Lee

Xah Lee xahlee at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 17:52:02 EST 2009

Of interest:

• Why Can't You Be Normal?
  http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/why_cant_you_be_normal.html

• Ban Xah Lee
  http://xahlee.org/Netiquette_dir/ban_Xah_Lee.html

I consider this post relevant because i've been perennially gossiped
about in comp.lang.* groups today and in the past 5 or 10 years, many
of the threads mentioning my name are not started by me nor did i ever
participate.

Plain text version one of the above article follows.

Ban Xah Lee

Xah Lee, 2009-03-07

This page is a short collection of online communities that banned me,
in a way that i don't consider just. It illustrates the political
nature among the tech geeking males.

HARASSMENT BY JOHN BOKMA

I was harassed by a newsgroup poster John Bokma (a regular of
comp.lang.perl.misc) to have my web hosting service provider kick me
off. This happened in 2006.

manner to “comp.lang.*” newsgroups. I was using Google's newsgroup
service to post it, and has nothing to do with my web hosting service
provider, other than my signature containing my website or links to
relevant articles on my website. However, this guy digs up my web
hosting provider, and lobbied people to send complains to kick me off.

Detailed account: DreamHost.com and A Incidence of Harassment

WIKIPEDIA

My Wikipedia account P0lyglut is banned by Wikipedia admins in
~2008-06 for a month or so.

citing info from Chinese historian Li Ao, and was fighting with those
who revert me in a non-conformal way. They banned me for editing, and
subsequently banned me from editing my talk page, and removed the
defense i gave on my talk page.

The original reason for reverting my editing was that i linked to my
own website (which contains the collected videos of Li Ao's program on
youtube, with English translation and summary). Subsequently, because
i did not behave in a way that seems “polite” to them, and kept on
fighting, the reason they cited to ban me was spreading propaganda.

For some account of this incident, see bottom of: Why Can't You Be
Normal?. The fighting and discussion can be seen on my talk page, at:
User talk:P0lyglut. The writing where i defended my edit, that got
removed from my talk page, is here: Wikipedia User talk:P0lyglut ...
2008-07. Local copy of these at: Wikipedia_ban_2008-06.zip.

FREENODE IRC EMACS CHANNEL

I'm banned on Freenode's irc emacs channel since about 2006-10, and
the ban was never lifted as of 2009-03. The ban is primarily, and
single-handedly executed by John Sullivan (aka johnsu01).

Some detail: Emacs Irc Channel Ban On Xah Lee.

HACKER NEWS

“Hacker News” website, at http://news.ycombinator.com/, banned me
around 2009-02 or earlier.

Someone posted a question about why some sites seem to be banned,
titled “Ask PG- What is the list of banned sites and why are they
banned”. He asked for reasons or a public list. The url is at Source.
(local archive: Hacker_News_xahlee.org_ban.zip) Then, someone posted
the list of domains/sub-domains that are banned, which contains my
site “xahlee.org”.

No explicit reason is given. It appears to me, it was banned because
one of my essay: Why Software Suck, has been submitted to the site in
2009-02, then in the discussion, someone mentioned i am a troll, then
admin placed my site on ban.

There are other bans that i consider unjust. This page is a start to
list them. I'll try to add more when i have time.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/