Do python.org MacOS X dmg installers still only provide 32 bit Python framework?

Graham Dumpleton Graham.Dumpleton at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 01:00:50 EDT 2009

I'd rather not have to download and install them as I don't want to be
installing them into my actual system, so can someone please tell me
whether the MacOS X dmg installers provided from www.python.org are
still not full universal builds. That is, that the Python framework
component only contains 32 bit architecture images and not also 64 bit
architecture images.

Am interested in Python 2.5.4, 2.6.1 and 3.0.1.

The output below is actually from Python provided with MacOS X 10.5
(Leopard), but is representative of what I would want to see, just for
the python.org one under /Library instead.

$ file /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/
Python
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python:
Mach-O universal binary with 4 architectures
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python
(for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O dynamically linked shared library
ppc
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python
(for architecture ppc64):   Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared
library ppc64
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python
(for architecture i386):    Mach-O dynamically linked shared library
i386
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Python
(for architecture x86_64):  Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared
library x86_64

So, do the official Python builds have 64 bit support in the framework
library?

And yes I do know that the 'python' executable itself on MacOS X 10.5
(Leopard) standard Python is only 32 bit, but whether the framework
has 64 bit is an issue because when you use mod_python or mod_wsgi
with standard MacOS X Apache, Python is run as 64 bit and so the 64
bit code needs to be in the framework library. Am getting tired of
having to explain to people that it is the python.org installers that
are deficient and to compile from source code or use Apple version
instead.

If this still is an issue, then I'll log a bug report so that full
support is included in the future.

Thanks.

Graham