Is python worth learning as a second language?

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Mon Mar 9 06:55:04 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 3:43 AM, ZikO <zebik at op.pl> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I hope I won't sound trivial with asking my question.
>
> I am a C++ programmer and I am thinking of learning something else because I
> know second language might be very helpful somehow. I have heard a few
> positive things about Python but I have never writen any single line in
> python so I do not know this language at all.
>
> Do you think python would be good complementary language for C++?

Yes, because Python is often used as a "glue" language used to script
C(++) components. Also, it's significantly different than C++ so it
will be a valuable learning experience that will expand your horizons.

> Do you
> think it's worth learning it or let's say try Java? and how difficult it
> would be for me if I know C++ pretty well I would say?

I would say Java would be comparatively less worth it since it's so
similar to C++ already; you could pick it up in just a few days. If
you're going to learn a new language, you might as well learn a
drastically different one.

Cheers,
Chris

--