Is python worth learning as a second language?

Tim Wintle tim.wintle at teamrubber.com
Mon Mar 9 07:47:18 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 11:19 +0000, Lie Ryan wrote:
> Certainly. A programmer that only knows one language would be too
> limited. Try as many programming language as you can, and especially
> look for programming languages that have "obscenely different" paradigm
> than the language you already know.
I completely agree

> You should know at least a language from each categories (anyone can add
> if they feel something is missing):
> - Object oriented, example: C-family, Java, Python, etc
> - Imperative, example: C-family, Java, Python, etc
> - Functional, example: Python, Lisp/Scheme, Haskell, etc
> - Declarative, example: Haskell, Prolog
> - Logic Programming, example: Prolog, etc
> - Event driven, example: most GUI sublanguage, etc
> - Domain specific language, example: Regular Expression (yes it is a
> programming language, regex parser is a Finite State Machine), SQL, etc
> - Concurrent programming, example: Erlang, etc
> - any other paradigms

My slight issue with this list that I think things are in too many
places. E.g. although you can do functional programming in Python (and
many do), I think it's worth trying to learn a language like lisp just
for the sake of forcing yourself to fully understand the paradigm.

I also think it's worth writing simple programs in a low level - either
in assembly, or as Turing/Register machine code.

> so basically, I still have much to learn...

so do I!