Is python worth learning as a second language?

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 08:57:01 EDT 2009

Michele Simionato wrote:
> On Mar 9, 12:47 pm, Tim Wintle <tim.win... at teamrubber.com> wrote:
>
>> My slight issue with this list that I think things are in too many
>> places.

Yeah, that issue did pass through my head when I posted it, but I was
too lazy to do proper listing of various language from various
paradigms. I thought if he is really interested in a paradigm, he should
find the entry for the paradigm in google or wikipedia to get more
insight and example language.

>> E.g. although you can do functional programming in Python (and
>> many do), I think it's worth trying to learn a language like lisp just
>> for the sake of forcing yourself to fully understand the paradigm.
>
> By a curious accident, just today I was closing my cycle of posts
> about functional
> programming (http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=251159)
> with this note:
>
> """
> The intention of this third cycle of Adventures was just to give a
> feeling of what does it mean to be a true functional language, versus
> being an imperative language with a few functional-looking constructs.
> """
>
> Indeed Python is not a functional language and that if your goal is to
> learn
> the functional paradigm you should look at Haskell, ML or Scheme.

Definitely.