Packaging Survey

Robert Kern robert.kern at
Mon Mar 9 20:10:47 CET 2009

On 2009-03-09 13:52, R. David Murray wrote:
> "Werner F. Bruhin"<werner.bruhin at>  wrote:
>> Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>> The Python Langage Summit is coming up. To prepare this event, I have
>>> put online a survey you can take to tell us a bit more about you and
>>> how you package your Python applications.
>>>      * Who should take the survey : any Python developer that packages
>>> and distributes his code, no matter how.
>>>      * Take the survey:
>> Get the following error on this link:
>> Secure Connection Failed
>> uses an invalid security certificate.
>> The certificate is not trusted because it is self signed.
>> The certificate is only valid for Massimo Di Pierro
>> The certificate expired on 01/03/2009 07:56.
>> (Error code: sec_error_expired_issuer_certificate)
> The web _really, really_ needs some sort of mechanism for a site
> to say "I'm not claiming anything about my identity, I'm just
> providing you an https channel over which to talk to me
> securely".

If I don't claim an identity and provide a way for you to authenticate that
claim, the channel is vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack and, therefore,
is not secure. It would provide moderate protection against naive eavesdropping,
though. Is that what you meant?

Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco