docstring reference to another docstring

bdb112 boyd.blackwell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 19:17:09 EDT 2009

"""" Thanks for the quick reply - I expanded it to a working program,
it seems to do the job and works in my actual code (always good).  As
you said, it assumes the called function's class is already defined.
Is there a way around this? (The module was originally ordered
"top-down").
""""

class Cluster():
    """Cluster docs...
    """

    def plot():
        """Cluster.plot docs..
        """

class ClusterSet():
    """ClusterSet docs...
    """
    __doc__  += "extra" + Cluster.__doc__

    def plot():
        """ClusterSet.plot docs..
        """
        __doc__  += "this is not what we want, it \
                     only happens at runtime, and refers to a local
variable"
        print("ClusterSet.plot body")

    plot.__doc__  += "extra" + Cluster.plot.__doc__

cs=ClusterSet()

print(cs.__doc__)
print(cs.plot.__doc__)