Windows install to custom location after building from source

Tim Golden mail at
Tue Mar 10 06:55:21 CET 2009

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> AFAICT, it only complained about errors in merging _Validation.
> I'm not sure whether I get the same errors (I would have to
> check); those errors can safely be ignored.

> I also see that it fails to add custom actions into
> InstallExecuteSequence. I find that puzzling - apparently,
> it tries to merge the twice. Are you sure you didn't run it
> twice? It will certainly fail the second time.

I'll double check. There was a point at which I was execfile-ing
it from within *and* running it separately, but I thought
I'd fixed that.

BTW what are your feelings on a patch to to change the
names of the directories it's looking for to pick up the Tk
licenses? It's a bit of a grey area since the only "canonical"
reference I can find is the externals checkout from within
tools\buildbot: you might as well argue that it's *that*
which should be changed.

For my own part, I can run on a patched version quite easily
so there's no real urgency for me. I'm just about at the point
when I can put together a from-scratch instruction sheet for
erstwhile Python-Windows developers to build Python & pywin32
including installers from checkouts.