functions - where to store them

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at
Wed Mar 11 15:57:18 CET 2009

En Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:46:05 -0200, <plsullivan1 at> escribió:

> I have several functions which I would like to store in a different
> directory so several programs can use them. I can't seem to find much
> information about how to call a function if the function code is not
> actually in the script itself.
> The problem: do I have to cut and paste functions into a script or can
> I store them in a directory and call them from a script in another
> directory. If the latter is possible, how is this done? Thanks.

I suggest you read the Python tutorial at
In particular, you're looking for "modules", and they're covered at

"""If you quit from the Python interpreter and enter it again, the
definitions you have made (functions and variables) are lost. Therefore,
if you want to write a somewhat longer program, you are better off using a
text editor to prepare the input for the interpreter and running it with
that file as input instead. This is known as creating a script. As your
program gets longer, you may want to split it into several files for
easier maintenance. You may also want to use a handy function that you’ve
written in several programs without copying its definition into each

To support this, Python has a way to put definitions in a file and use
them in a script or in an interactive instance of the interpreter. Such a
file is called a module; definitions from a module can be imported into
other modules or into the main module."""

Gabriel Genellina