Can python (CPython) and IPython coexist normally on the same computer ?

John Machin sjmachin at
Thu Mar 12 01:20:09 CET 2009

On Mar 12, 10:17 am, scoop <sc... at> wrote:
> I know I could just try to install it and see, but I've got my
> configuration just right, so I don't want to mess it up (maybe) with
> IPython.
> Also, can someone please point me to some page where I can find
> differences between C and I Python. I'm learning Python using
> "Learning python" (figures :), so I was wondering - what are the
> practical differences between the two ? If I start with IPython, will
> I be able to switch to CPython later, or will I have trouble with that
> ? Does IPython supports standard libraries like numpy and matplotlib ?

Do you mean this IPython:
or do you mean Iron Python:

IPython is a front-end for the CPython interpretor, as is IDLE, etc.
"differences", "switch to" and "supports standard libraries" are
rather meaningless questions.

Iron Python is an alternative implementation of a Python interpreter,
whose target is the .NET/Mono platform. It supports standard libraries
written in Python. I believe there is a project called Ironclad whose
aim is to be able to use libraries written in C/C++ (like numpy) but
this is not available yet.